Wednesday 28 May 2014

Picture Perfect!

"Here hides one of Europe's finest panoramas of water, spires and centuries-old grand houses.  And it seems that the Belgians forgot to tell anyone!" Anon

I love Ghent. 

 I love the buildings and the village feel.  I love the medievilness and the canals.  I love the beers and the food.... oh the food!

This is the view from our hotel window.



I love the cobblestone streets and the churches around every corner.  I love that there are no cars in the centre of the town - only trams and canal boats - besides dodging trams - it's a pedestrian free for all.  I love that people get around easily on bikes.


I love that I'm here with me Jenny and that I've finally mastered the selfie with the right hand which gives us a lot of options now for selfie poses - me on the left.... and on the right!


I love the old buildings and often wonder if anybody uses that little door on the bottom right hand side of this building?

 When in Ghent!

I love the skinny buildings that have been rammed in-between other skinny buildings.


I love the many squares and market places.


I love the fresh water fountains found all over the city where you and your dog can have a drink, fill up a water bottle, or wash your face.


I love that if your dog doesn't fancy sharing the fountain with you.... he/she can have their own little drink on this street.


There are unfortunately some very ugly buildings going up here - which I don't love and refuse to post pictures of, but this one ⬇ was a fairly cool looking modernish one.


I love Facebook Street..... What more can I say?


 I love this cool sign on a shop window.  

Woot Woot!


I love the fabulously heavy, ornate doors.


I love that my friend Christophe and his gorgeous girlfriend, Maayan flew into Ghent just to see us (it was also his birthday and was perhaps coming to see his family.... but I don't think so).  They showed us around and played tour guide.


I love that I found out that I love celery salt!  I'd never heard of it, but it goes perfectly with cheese when your'e trying out a new beer.



I also love Pol - the grumpy owner of the Jenever bar - 't Dreupelkot.  If you ever find yourself in Ghent, don't miss this peculiar little bar.  He's open every day from 4pm.




And finally.... I love that it is a great place to meet up with lovely friends.


I love Ghent!


I mean, what's not to love?

No comments:

Post a Comment